Saturday 7 January 2012

Feeding baby



Things i love like about breastfeeding

1. Im doing the best for my baby, especially with the history of UTIs and Psoriasis in the family
2. Its so darn convenient, i dont have to plan ahead with bottles or worry about sterilising
3. I don't get up in the night at all, i pretty much roll baby from one boob to the other when he wakes for a feed. He doesn't really wake up either.
4. Its so easy to comfort him
5. The majority of the time, its nice to be the one he wants
6. Its good for my health
7. The success you feel when you hit the point when  its going well and they're not feeding every half an hour anymore
8. Mummy/baby bonding. Sometimes when he's feeding he looks up at me with those big eyes and my heart could just melt.
9. The weight falls off quicker
10. Its rewarding



Things i hate  dislike about breastfeeding

1. The baby is always my responsibility, i cant pass him over to my hubby for a night.
2. You never know how much they're getting (not so bad now, but the first 8 weeks is hard)
3. There are never long gaps between feeds
4. Always having to think about what clothes im going to wear..."how can i get my boob out of this dress"
5. Getting my boobs out in public
6. Watching other peoples embarrassment at getting my boobs out in public
7. Always assuming they're crying because they're hungry.
8. Others always assuming they're crying because they're hungry "are you sure you're satisfying him" aaaah
9. For something that's so natural, its not always easy. The constant feeding of the first 2 months is so hard!
10. Leaking.
11. You're pretty much tied to the baby all the time.


These are my opinions. I don't want any Breastfeeding militants contacting me about my selfish thoughts!

p.s. My giveaway is still open. See yesterdays post.

5 comments:

Suburban Stitcher said...

I agree with all of your opinions. It's sometimes tough (and annoying) but certainly the best we can give our kiddos! Kudos!

Lynn said...

There were some down sides to the breastfeeding but I'm so glad I chose it. I think the boys got excellent immunity and are rarely ill.
I wasn't able to feed in public. I was so large breasted and needed pillows to prop baby so I had to plan my outings in between feedings.
Kudos for persevering!
PS. Sometimes I expressed a bottle for hubby to do the feeding so I could have a bit of a break. I was lucky in that I didn't leak or have pain if I missed a feeding.

Susan said...

I agree with all your comments. I nursed exclusively with my daughter for the first year-she would never take a bottle. And I heard all the comments, good and bad.

My son, I wanted to nurse, but mechanically he was not able to, I had post partum depression, and I needed meds more than he needed breast milk.

They both have health issues, so I don't think that breast feeding is exclusively "the answer" for what is best for your baby. You have to work with what is best for you and the baby.

I'm glad that now it is enjoyable. I loved breastfeeding my daughter after the first 2 or three months, and missed the closeness after she was weaned.

Christina said...

Hear hear!
I used to express in between feeds so that Hubby did one of the 2 night feeds. It worked well for me this time around but with my first born I was barely able to express any milk at all!
I didn't find breastfeeding easy at all and totally empathise with those that give up and give formula - I thought about it many times! Having said that, I'm really glad I persevered for 5 months.

Lori Arnold said...

As what my husband calls a 'breastfeeding nazi' I still completely agree with everything you said, positives and negatives. It isn't rosy all the time, and there are some annoying and distressing and frustrating parts to breastfeeding. Good, honest lists like that are what we need more of! If I hadn't stopped writing that newsletter for the IBfM, I would've stolen that for my next edition!